Referring to the long collaboration between the Superintendence of the Sea of the Sicilian Region and the Phoenicians’ Route – Cultural Route of the Council of Europe, the Scientific Collaboration was renewed, signed for the first time in 2014, through the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding, in order to cooperate in the following sectors:
- Enhancement and protection of the underwater cultural heritage;
- Promotion of training and scientific dissemination. In particular, the aim is to share museum and underwater archaeological teaching with reference also to the Interpretation Center of Palazzo Pignatelli in Menfi (AG), inaugurated in October 2020;
- Organization of thematic exhibitions;
- Dissemination of construction techniques and technologies in the Sicilian navy from antiquity to the present day;
- Training in the enhancement of cultural and natural heritage;
- Scientific collaboration for studies and research on underwater archeology in Italy and in the Mediterranean;
- Dissemination and promotion actions in the underwater archeology sector.
The agreement also provides for the possibility of launching, within the Phoenicians’ Route, a specific International Network dedicated to underwater archeology, of which the Superintendency of the Sea of the Sicilian Region will be the leader and promoter.
Since its creation, the Phoenicians’ Route has benefited from the precious scientific support and ideas of Prof. Sebastiano Tusa and, through him, of the Superintendence of the Sea. This agreement establishes the continuity of relations in the person of the current Superintendent Dr. Valeria Li Vigni, with whom the activities launched in the past will be extended to the entire Mediterranean. The Superintendence of the Sea, in fact, is an admirable example at a world level which inspires new initiatives such as the Italian National Superintendence for Underwater Cultural Heritage.
The Phoenicians’ Route, confirming its support, through the creation of an Underwater Archeology Network proposes this model at an international level.